Struts, especially your front struts, are regular part of keeping your car maintained. When your front struts are in good condition, they keep you and your car from feeling the pressure and bumps of the roads and highways you drive upon as well as keeps your car alignment. When your front struts go bad, and your alignment is off, then the constant driving and travelling in your car can become uncomfortable for you and cause problems for the rest of the car. Therefore, keeping your struts well-maintained, replacing them at the proper time, is an important aspect of car maintenance to keep in mind.
How do you replace your front struts, though? Fortunately, for all you Toyota Camry drivers, there are quick struts, that can easily be installed and uninstalled, if you have the right tools, without the element of danger that comes with attempting to DIY spring compression. Take a look at our quick front struts replacement guide, to help do-it-yourself, like a pro.
- To start, you will want to gather the necessary tools and parts for this job. This will include: a socket wrench, with sockets, penetrating oil, and a torque wrench. The quick strut should have all the pieces necessary for the replacement process.
- Once you have all your tools and parts ready, go ahead and jack up your car. Use proper jacking techniques, as safety is your number one priority. After the side that you are working on is off the ground, remove the wheel.
- After the wheel has been removed, look towards the top of your wheel well. You should notice a stabilizer link, basically a tab connected on the side of your strut, with a 5mm bolt holding it in place. Use your large wrench to grip the bolt while unscrewing the bolt from the stabilizer link. It would also be a good idea to spray some penetrating oil on the bolt, before unscrewing it.
- Next, find your way down the front strut. You will see just behind the wheel assembly; your Camry’s ABS wire clip. Unclip this and then look to the side and find the 12 mm bolt holding the brake line on. Remove this as well. Pull that out of the way and move on to the next step.
- You should now see two 22 mm nuts, one above the other, that must be removed. Spray some penetrating oil on them first, then unbolt them. You will then have to knock the bolts they were attached to out of their sockets. Then open the hood of your car.
- Above where you were working, you will need to remove three 14 mm nuts from the top of the strut tower.
- Next, use a jack stand or scissor jack to support the bottom of the steering knuckle. You should now be able to pull the front strut assembly out of the top socket and completely out of the wheel well.
- During the installation process, it is a good idea to recall the steps you took to get to this point. Working your way backwards can really help you make sure you don’t forget a step or part, that’s necessary for your car.
- First, make sure the quick strut is aligned correctly, with the strut tower sockets. Go ahead and stick it up in the correct holes.
- Second, reinstall the strut bottom with the steering knuckle. You may have to wiggle it around for it to fit in correctly. Be careful not to damage the brake line during this process.
- Third, reinstall the 22 mm steering knuckle bolts, the three 14mm strut tower nuts, and then the 22 mm steering knuckle nuts last. These need to be torqued to 152 lb•ft, or else they may loosen up on the road.
- Fourth, reattach the bolt holding the brake line and reattach the ABS clip, back to its original position.
- Fifth, inspect the stabilizer linkages and then reinstall the stabilizer link bolt.
- You can now reinstall the wheel, and lower the car to the ground.
Once you have followed these steps to replacing your front struts, be sure to take your car out for a test drive, noticing any problems or noises. An extremely important last step to add for your front struts replacement process is getting an alignment. This step is vital for keeping your car healthy and your tires in shape. Installing new front struts on your Camry is a great way to test your DIY ability. So whenever your Camry needs new front struts, you are prepared to replace them quickly and skillfully.